Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Calendar Update

As promised, some new stuff about my stories:

Yesterday I joined the WriYe forums. I'd been on the official site before, but never the forums. When I first heard about Writing Year, I thought it was too ... big. I mean, writing throughout the entire year to meet one HUGE goal. Of course a few weeks later I started the 6 Months, 6 Novels project and offered up my sanity to write six novels this year. And when I really thought about what I'm aiming at, it's about 220,000 words this year. That's 30k for each fic, and 50k per novel. That's insane!

So I thought I'd check out WriYe for the hell of it. That, and I've been hearing a few people talk about it over the past week and it kind of got me curious. Needless to say, I'm an official WriYe participant now. -headdesk- I just couldn't resist after reading the list of things that are included in the year's tally. All the work I do for my writing courses, my Screnzy script, novel planning, even some role-play stuff - it's all included!

So, taking all that into consideration, I figured it would add a good 70k. Then I went and looked at the challenges. Well, they have this one called BOYB. Breaking Outta Your Box challenge. Basically you sign up to write a genre that you wouldn't normally write. That got me thinking. There's no doubt that Fantasy is my thing. Magic, vampires, werewolves ... the whole thing fascinates me, and I've written and planned for a lot of stories in that genre. Supernatural also kind of falls into that catergory. Plus, my NaNo '09, Ghosts of Autumn, was a supernatural story. I'm pretty good at humor. At least, I try to include a lot of it in all my stories. Romance, despite my pushing, somehow winds up in the majority of my work. I think I'm pretty good at it too.

So what does that leave me with? Erotica? Hell no. Adventure? I've touched on it a little. Religion? Ghosts of Autumn took an unexpected turn in that direction. Let's not go there again. Science Fiction? Oh, yeah, cuz I'm such a fan of aliens. -eyeroll- Unless I write a fic for the Star Trek 2009 movie, there's no way I can do it. Historical Fiction? So much research ... hmm. I do have an idea for a sort of prequel to this year's vampire novel. Horror? Oh, I love horror. But, can I do it? I tried to cross that line with Ghost of Autumn, and it sure got scary, but a total horror?

So that's where I am now. I've got that kind-of prequel to Afterthought (I'm not gonna bore you with a full summary because you won't get it) about a human who is in business with two vampire siblings in the 1700's, maybe. The horror idea I got from Debbi on the 6Mo, 6No website. A few kids in the 1950's are playing in this river beside a convent, and they find human bones, but no one believes them. I've elaborated and came up with how several years later, one of them ends up dead and the others come back to town for his funeral, only to find his murder involved with the bones in the river. Each novel gives me another 50k.

All together, I think it'll give me over 300,000 words for the year. That's amazing! I've already signed up in the correct club for my word count, and I'm looking forward to participating in the team challenge starting this Sunday. I'm also entering the Harry Potter-inspired house cup.

Anyway, this year's calendar now looks something like this-

January: finishing Oh, Baby!
February: finishing/editing Ghosts of Autumn
March: write Temporary Youth
April: make Ghosts of Autumn into a movie script
May: write Left Me Breathless
June: ???
July: write Afterthought
August: ???
September: write The Historian
October: ???
November: write untitled time-travel story for NaNo
December: ???

So you see, I have four empty months to toy with, and so far I have two new novel ideas. The Afterthought prequel will have to be written some time after Afterthought itself. And the horror one I'd prefer to write in Jun or August (summer months, lots of daylight). And I'm sure I'll be doing a few one-shots along the way. I may even attempt a Star Trek fic like I joked about before. You never know.

xoxo,
Lizzy<3

No comments:

Post a Comment