Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Changes To Be Made

I'm going to ignore my pile of things to do to day, in favor of discussing two important issues with you, and a possible new project or two for myself.

First, I've been hearing a lot about Haiti this past week and it's been getting me a little depressed. I mean, I usually stay out of the current affairs - politics, war, American Idol - but this just seems to be getting worse as time goes by. It's especially bad knowing that there's nothing I can do to help. So that why I'm asking anyone who reads this blog, to please give to the Red Cross or another trusted organization that you know is helping the Haitians. Every little bit helps and you'll earn my gratitude and respect - and let's face it, my gratitude and respect is what you really want out of this deal, isn't it? ;)

Second on my list is big publishing problem. After reading a well-written open letter to Bloomsbury publishers by Ari(here- http://blackteensread2.blogspot.com/2010/01/open-letter-to-bloomsbury-kids-usa.html) earlier, I became aware of how Bloomsbury has used a Caucasion model on the covers of two books featuring African American main characters. Thankfully they've already changed the cover of Liar by Justine Larbalestier, but Jaclyn Dolamore's Magic Under Glass still has the wrong cover on it.

Please go over to Ari's blog (http://blackteensread2.blogspot.com/) and join in the discussion about how to get Bloomsbury and future publishers to change. And while you're at it, start buying and/or checking out books with main characters of a different race than yourself. While I've never shied away from books not featuring a white MC, I haven't read many either.

Now, onto my new projects:

You already know about my writing challenges which I'm happy to say are going quite well. And I've talked a little bit about the 50-book challenge I wanted to take up last year before real life interrupted it. I'm obviously still doing both of these.

Also, I'm managing the site for the 6 Months, 6 Novels writing challenge I'm doing. I'm involved in two rpgs right now. Toss in my one writing course, chores, and the inconvenience of having to spend time with my family, and you'd think I'm booked full, wouldn't you? Not quite.

I've been working off and on for the past couple of weeks on another site. The official site of Elizabeth Sabourin. Because I figured I'll need it when I start publishing my stuff later this year. Besides, I need a place to store links to all the sites I'm on so when I make new friends I can point them to the site and say "I'm at all of these places. Check me out!"

But after reading Ari's blog, and being linked to a couple of writing challenges, I thought about how I really need to start reading more. I mean, I know I said the 50 book thing was going to happen, but I feel the need to clarify. It's starting next month. As soon as I get to the new apartment, I'm finding the nearest library and taking out a stack of books. But it's not just the reading that's bothering me.

As I said above, I have no problem reading books that don't have white main characters, but I don't think I ever have. I have a list of over fifty books to read this year compiled by my friends and mother, but I don't know if any of them are really going to get me out of my set ways. It's not only the color of the MC I'm talking about, the genre is also something to look at. I'm a fantasy freak. Supernatural, horror, some romance and comedy too. I'm slowly getting into historical fiction by accident. I need a wider variety of books to read.

So, I'm calling on the help of anyone who stumbles upon this post to send me book suggestions. Any books. Any rating, any genre, any length, any author. Keep in mind that I'll be skipping over any sex scenes as best I can. I'd rather just stay away from non-fiction. Anything else goes. Tell me what books you like and why.

Thinking about this, I wondered if, while I'm reading all of these books, maybe I should start another blog that focuses totally on book reviews. I know I've done reviews here in the past, but wouldn't it be cool to have one place devoted to the reviews? -shrug- Just an idea.

So let me know. Give me books to read, tell me if I should go ahead with the new blog. I want to know what you think.

xoxoxo
Lizzy<3

2 comments:

  1. I read a really good book last year but it won't get you out of your set ways :P It's a fantasy novel, first in a series of three. It's called The Gift by Alison Croggon. Here's the blurb from the back:
    Maerad is a slave in a harsh, desperate settlement, taken there as a child after her family was destroyed in war. She is unaware that she possesses a powerful Gift, a Gift that marks her as a member of the School of Pellinor. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true heritage and extraordinary destiny unfold. Now, she and her teacher Cadvan must survive a punishing nd uncertain journey, battling with dark forces from the deepest recesses of other worldly terror.

    As for starting a new blog, it all depends really on whether you feel able to keep this blog organised with everything in it or whether you would feel more comfortable having a seperate place for the reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy!! Thank you for your comments. They made my day. Seriously, hearing that you were going to write more poc mc characters made me so happy, I wanted to cry and do a happy dance! I don't mind reading reviews here or at a new blog, I like the idea of you using one blog though for your writing/thoughts and book reviews. So yeah, you made my day and I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

    2. I recommend joining this challenge http://pocreading.blogspot.com/ I've commented there with suggestions. Check out my past reviews as well. Here's my top 5, I tried to include each genre
    1. The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon (historical fiction about the Black Panthers, beyond awesome!)
    2. Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon (fantasy with a kick butt heroine!)
    3. Flygirl by Sherri Smith (WWII Afircan american woman fighter pilot)
    4. Mare's War by Tanita davis (AA female soldier, soooo good!)
    5. Marcelo in the Real World by Francisoc X. Stork (beautiful book. just beautiful)
    oh and Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher (made me cry) and Liar by Justine Larbalestier =)
    Do you read MG as well?

    3) Donate blood! Haiti really needs blood so if you can, I recommend you do that. I did today! It's something almost everyone can do (unless you have a medical condition that won't allow it). check out the red cross website.

    Your post and comment made my day (I just have to keep saying that!). Anyway, I hope you continue to read Reading in Color and let me know if you need more suggestions :)

    <3333 Ari

    ReplyDelete